How to Make Easy Chicken Burrito Bowls
Burrito bowls are known for their savory flavors and filling satisfaction. The citrusy tang of lemon, the richness of the cheese, along with the subtle touch of taco seasoning make the perfect combination. With the chicken, beans, and rice added, this recipe is a versatile dish that lets you play around with the flavor!
It’s quite simple to make, so you can add it to your make-ahead meals list. You can easily prepare it beforehand and enjoy it on a busy weekday. This can provide the entire week’s dinner prepared in less than an hour.
The Perfect Meal Prep Recipe
The best thing about meal prepping burrito bowls is that the ingredients reheat well and it is easy to customize the flavors when it’s time to each. You can add different sauces, levels of heat, or seasonings to your meal to make every meal a new experience.
This isn’t even getting to how amazing this recipe tastes, especially because it’s also a healthier option loaded with nutrients. It’s a healthy dose of carbs, fiber, protein, antioxidants, and vitamins. You name it, Easy Chicken Burrito Bowls has it!
If you’re meal prepping for more than one person, you can also customize this recipe according to everyone’s taste by adding or subtracting ingredients. Many people will remove/ replace certain ingredients to make this recipe vegetarian, gluten-free, or vegan.
Why you will love these burrito bowls
- Simple to make.
- Delicious when reheated.
- Customizable to the max.
- Full of veggies and deliciously healthy proteins.
- A fresh take on meal prepping that will make you excited for lunch/dinner.
Meal Prep Burrito Bowl Recipe
You can serve this amazing chicken burrito bowl cold or hot, it’s up to your tastes, time, and purpose. The following recipe is set to be enough for 2 bowls, duplicate this recipe for as many days as you need meals.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 bell peppers
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup of corn
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup of salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese (cheddar recommended)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place the chicken breasts, peppers, and red onion on the baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with taco seasoning on both sides.
- Sprinkle the peppers and onion with salt and pepper, tossing to coat well.
- Pour a generous portion of salsa over the chicken breasts.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it into strips.
- Add the brown rice in a glass lunch container then add a spoonful of black beans, corn, grated cheese.
- Divide the chicken, peppers, and onions among the dishes.
- If you are eating immediately, add your sauces and garnish with cilantro. If you are meal prepping - continue to the instructions below.
Meal Prep Instructions
- When ready to store, put them in the fridge (for up to 3 days) or in the freezer (for up to 2 weeks)
- When ready to eat, if desired, reheat the bowl for 1-2 minutes in the microwave (or oven).
- Add your salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, and other topics you desire over your bowl.
- Garnish your bowl with fresh cilantro and enjoy.
Do you love burritos? Try these loaded breakfast burritos next.
Burrito Bowl Variations
Want more? Here are some suggested foods that you can use to customize your burrito bowl:
- Edamame beans - These add more protein and flavor to your bowl.
Cilantro paste and lime juice - Adding these to your rice will help you mimic the fast-food burrito bowl that you may be aiming to mimic.
- Lettuce - If you love adding as many veggies as possible to your tacos or burritos, lettuce is a no brainer. Just make sure you chop it thin so that it’s easy to eat in one bite.
- Green onion - If you love onion, this addition is a no-brainer.
- Jalapenos - For an extra bit of spice, chop up some jalapenos (or habaneros) and add them to your bowl.
- Diced tomatoes or Pico de Gallo - These can act as a substitute for salsa or just a delicious add-on if you’re wanting a fresher taste to your bowl.
- Avocados or Guacamole - In either form, adding this fresh avocado taste to your bowl will not disappoint.
- Extra-firm Tofu or baked Seitan - This is a great meatless substitution if you don’t want to add chicken to your bowl but still want the extra protein and taste.
These ingredients up the flavor to the next level.
This dish is a great way to switch up the typical taco night and its beautiful colors will make you feel like you’re taking photos for a foodie Instagram. The reds, greens, and yellows will pop on the rice and black beans. It’s like a delicious pinwheel of colors!
Don’t be shy, take a picture, and tag us on Instagram (@daily.life.website). We’d love to see your colorful creation!
Want more meal prep ideas? Why not try…