How to Make the Perfect Breakfast Stuffed Belgian Waffles
Belgian waffles are one of the hottest breakfast items these days. Everyone loves posting those Pinterest-worthy photos of delectable waffles on their social media status - and often with sweet syrup or jam.
Today, we want to take the waffles recipe to the next level.
Crispy and golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside, these stuffed waffles are going to make you fall in love at the very first bite. Yum! The iconic crunch of bell pepper and onion with the softness of the waffle will make you smack your lips and lick your fingers in delight.
The underlying richness of cheddar cheese will enhance the flavors further. They’re healthy and scrumptious! What more could you want?
The best thing about these stuffed waffles is that they are super easy to make. They don’t have any unexpected ingredients that would require a run to the grocery store – you’ll find everything in your pantry and the fridge. You can make them on a weekend morning and everyone will wake up to the delicious smell of waffles.
Want a sweet waffle to pair with this savory treat? This recipe for cinnamon oat waffles will hit the spot!
Savory Breakfast Stuffed Belgian Waffles
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
For the waffles
- 1 envelope of active yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup of warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 3 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- Salt & pepper
For the eggs
- 4 large eggs, scrambled
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Let’s make some waffles.
- Add the yeast and sugar in a small bowl with the warm milk. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg and butter. Next, add in the milk.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt & pepper
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture.
- Whisk until you have a smooth dough. The dough should form into a ball.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Make 8 individual balls and set aside for another 15 minutes.
Turn on those egg timers, it’s egg time!
- During that time, Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Beat together your 4 large eggs with the chopped onion and bell pepper, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook eggs to a scramble. This should take around 5 minutes.
Waffle + Egg = Yum!
- Heat waffle at medium-high iron and brush with butter or oil.
- Before you begin, use the heel of your hand to slightly flatten your balls of dough (this will make it easier to add filling).
- Take 1 ball of the dough and place it to fit the waffle iron.
- Once your ball of dough is placed, quickly place ¼ cup your scramble egg mixtures, and add the cheese.
- Finish your waffle by topping it with a second ball of dough.
- Close the waffle iron. Let it cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you’re willing to experiment with the recipe, you can also make these stuffed waffles with your favorite filling. If you are craving for something sweet, try apple-stuffed waffles. If you are looking for something out of the box, you can stuff your waffles with beans and salsa.
Buttery, and light, these stuffed waffles are the ultimate breakfast or brunch option for someone who doesn’t have a big sweet tooth.
Wait - do you have a sweet tooth? This homemade breakfast donut recipe is perfect for you!