Grilled Halloumi Skewers: Feed Your Body Friday
Before we begin - let me just say that these Halloumi skewers are divine! This is a delicious alternative to throwing meat on the grill and can be a great appetizer, entree, or late summer snack!
When raw, Halloumi has an elastic texture; cooked, it melts in the mouth. This cheese is also full of protein and it can even replace the meat. Next, I’ll answer the question that I know is on your mind.
Why Grill Halloumi Cheese?
When you think of grilling cheese, I bet a melty sticky mess comes to mind, but with Halloumi this isn’t the case! Halloumi cheese has a great quality of resisting heat. It can be eaten cold, but it mostly gains flavor and texture when grilled in a pan or on the barbecue.
But why doesn't this cheese turn into a liquid or elastic in contact with heat? It’s a bit of the secret of the recipe! But what we do know is that it’s not an agent that is added to the cheese so that it does not melt. Rather, when they make this cheese, they just vary the times and temperatures in the manufacturing process to arrive at this result.
You need to be careful when choosing the brand of your Halloumi cheese because the amount of salt varies a lot from one grilling cheese to another. To desalt the Halloumi, just cover it with cold water for a few hours. To speed up the process, you can also cut it into slices.
Do you love cheese? Why not try The Perfect Summer Cheeseboard.
Music Credit: Ben Sound
BBQ Grilled Halloumi Skewers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
For this recipe, you will need…
- 1 package of Halloumi cheese cubes
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion cubed
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Wooden skewers
Let’s get cooking!
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Cut your Halloumi cheese, the pepper, and the onion into 2-inch cubes (large enough to fit on the wooden sticks.)
- Preheat your BBQ to medium-high.
- Grab your soaked wooden skewers and begin to add ingredients. On each stick, add one piece of pepper, one piece of onion, and a cube a Halloumi, repeat 3 times or until your skewers are full to your liking (with a bit of room at the bottom).
- Place the skewers on the medium-high BBQ and turn them every 3 minutes (cook for 12 minutes).
- Once cooked - remove from the BBQ and serve with rice and vegetables.
This is a great treat when you want to switch it up on the BBQ. The best part? You can add whatever veggies you’d like and make it your own!
You need to try this Halloumi skewers recipe this summer. I guarantee that it will quickly become one of your favorite things to cook on the BBQ!
Why not pair your new favorite with a Summery Iced Drink for the perfect afternoon.