Feed Your Body Friday: White Bean & Chickpea Chili
Welcome back, it’s Feed Your Body Friday friends!! Ready to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?!
Red chili is a very common dish, but white chili a little less so — yet it’s just as delicious! White chili is made using chicken and/or beans, while red chili gets its color from the inclusion of beef and tomatoes.
But don’t be fooled! It may look plain, but white chili packs a big flavor punch, and this recipe will prove it!
This simple and clean ingredient list allows you to make a vegan and gluten-free recipe. If you prefer a non-veggie version, serve with chicken and use half the amount of beans.
No matter which way you decide to prepare it, I assure you, this white chili will be a springtime success!
Ready in: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (Remove membrane)
- 2-3 cloves, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 can (540 ml) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cauliflower bouquets
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup cheddar, grated
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a saucepan, cook the onion with olive oil, garlic, and jalapeno until the onion is soft.
- Add the spices and the beans and let cook for 2 more minutes.
- Finally, add in the potatoes, cauliflower, and the broth. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve each bowl with a little cheese sprinkled on top. Garnish with cilantro.
Since it reheats so well and is served in a bowl, this recipe is a dream for all you on-the-go meal preppers and school lunch chefs.
This is a very different vegetarian chili, but just as nourishing and satisfying as the tomato versions, if not more!