You Have to Try These Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
For many people, pancakes are sacred. It’s always milk, eggs, flour, and, of course, butter to grease the pan. However, making pancakes without eggs, milk, or butter is completely feasible, easy, and absolutely delicious.
I used plant-based milk and also melted margarine, which can easily be replaced by oil. Avocado oil or melted coconut oil are great alternatives as they taste mild.
To make your pancakes, you start by whisking together the dry ingredients, incorporating them evenly and then gradually adding the liquid.
After all your ingredients are mixed together, let the pancake batter stand for one hour because flour contains starch, and starch is a bit like a sponge, which swells on contact with water. To give it time to swell, we let the pancake batter rest.
The goal is to have a dough that won’t break when cooked.
Let’s dive into the recipe!
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes + 1 hour for batter to sit
Cook time: 3 minutes
Serving: 10 pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 3/4 cup plant-based milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 3 tbsp margarine or a plant-based butter substitute for cooking
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix them with a whisk.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring, until you get a smooth texture.
- Add sugar and vanilla and leave for an hour at room temperature.
- Once the hour has passed, heat your pancake pan. Use non-stick spray or margarine.
- Once the pan is hot, pour a small ladle of dough. Add blueberries evenly.
- Heat over medium heat, checking the coloring of the pancake by lifting the edge with a spatula or knife.
- Once colored and small bubbles have formed, turn over the pancake and cook the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup if desired and enjoy!
Did you know that originally, pancakes didn’t even contain eggs, milk, or butter because these ingredients were often far too rare and expensive to be able to use it?
Traditional pancakes consisted of only buckwheat, salt, and water. So to make your pancake vegan, simply replace the eggs with a little cornstarch, and voila!
Related article: Plant-Based Diets - Save Money, Save the Planet