Feed Your Body Friday: The Perfect Summer Cheeseboard
Are you ready to create a great summer snack that combines the best the season has to offer?
Cheeseboards are great for casual dining and mid-afternoon snack, they can be as extravagant as you’d like or as simple as some cheese, crackers, and strawberries. Today, we’re on a mission to create the best cheeseboard that will have you saying “wow” after you make it.
So get your cheese knives and your best wooden serving board out, it’s time to get cheesy.
Tips for Making the Best Cheeseboard
Some important rules to remember when making a cheese board is to…
- Space the cheeses sufficiently to avoid mixing the flavors.
- Prep your items as much as possible so it’s easy to snack on.
- Keep your cheeses wrapped properly until served.
- Make sure you label your items when you serve this in social settings so everyone knows what they are combining.
- Choose cheeses and items that match your tastes, but also try something new.
- Choose complementary flavors.
How to Make Your Cheese Board Summery
The best way to bring summer to your selection is to add fruit!
We suggest looking for seasonal fruits that are the best around the summer months like berries, peaches, plums, cherries, apricots, cantaloupes, and any other summer fruits you can get your hands on! This will not only taste delicious, but it will also bring some really beautiful color to your cheeseboard.
Additionally, adding some light starches like toasted baguette slices and a variety of crackers is a must. All you need are some proteins - in our cheese board we added almonds - but you could add other nuts or proteins (make this a breakfast tray by adding a hardboiled egg). Add some fun additions like jellies, dark chocolate, (or meat for our meat-eaters) and you have a full board of snacks fit for a royal picnic.
While you’re at it, pair this with a nice Summer Iced Drink for the perfect summer afternoon.
Let’s Assemble: The Perfect Summer Cheeseboard
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
- 3 to 4 cheeses of your choice
- Nuts and proteins
- Spicy or sweet jellies
- Crackers and breads
- Summer fruits
Time to Prepare
- Wash and slice your fruits.
- Prepare your cheeses and crackers in any way that you desire. (We suggest pre-cutting your cheese)
- Arrange your fruits, cheeses, and crackers around the board.
- Adding in your varieties of nuts, jellies, and other snacks to the empty spots.
- Serve and enjoy!
Our Cheese Recommendations
- Aged Gouda - Gouda is one of the most popular cheeses in the world, and it’s easy to see why. It’s mild and flavorful, but pairs well with other fruits and crackers.
- Goat’s cheese - While some may not like the idea of it, it’s a light and fresh option to have during the summer months. It also comes in many varieties, so you can choose a flavor that inspires you. Also, goat’s cheese and cranberry is a combination to die for.
- Butterkäse - This roughly translates to “butter cheese” and is a German cheese that is soft, creamy, and savory. It’s a must-try if you’re a fan of brie.
- Provolone - Provolone is a sharp and tangy cheese that pairs very well with spicy jellies, homemade bread, and wine.
The Weather is Hot, Get Snacking!
The best part of making a cheeseboard is that you can customize it to your own tastes and try something new without committing to a whole lot of it. So why not peruse the cheese selection at your local deli or supermarket?
Want More Summer Recipes? Try these Melon & Prosciutto Skewers next.