Feed Your Body Friday: 3 Sweet & Savory Popcorn Recipes
Find me a person who doesn’t like popcorn! It’s delicious, easy, and the perfect food to snack on during a movie or event. So, let’s add a twist to this classic!
Today, we are making three popcorn recipes…
- Maple Popcorn
- Lime and Chili Popcorn
- Sweet & Salty Popcorn Balls.
For the maple popcorn, I used popcorn that can only be found online or in certain stores. It’s the big round popcorn that is called ‘mushroom popcorn’ because of how it looks when it is popped. By using this type, it is more uniformly coated popcorn with a crunchy layer of maple syrup on the outside. A true delight! But don’t worry if you use regular popcorn the flavor will be just as good, the only thing is that your popcorn will be less uniform.
The lime and chili popcorn is super quick and easy to make and WOW, what an explosion of flavors and it’s super original too. It has become my favorite popcorn for movie nights.
The last recipe; the sweet and salty popcorn balls. A real treat, my kids literally jumped on it when they saw these little wonders. I had to hide them so he wouldn’t eat them all in a day.
Now that we’re all excited, let’s get popping!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the oil and the corn kernels in a large saucepan. Cover and cook kernels over medium heat, stirring the pan. Reserve.
- In another saucepan, heat the maple syrup to 115°C.
- Add the butter and vanilla to the syrup, then stir.
- Pour the syrup over the popcorn and mix to coat well.
- Spread the popcorn on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy.
Lime and Chili Popcorn
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup popcorn, for popping
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 limes zest
- Heat the oil in a large, in a pan add the popcorn and cover with lid.
- Shake the pan occasionally so all the corn will cook.
- When the popping sound stops, remove pan from the heat
- Place the popcorn in a bowl.
- Add chili powder and the lime zest. Mix the popcorn gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sweet & Salty Popcorn Balls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Waiting Time: 30 minutes
Serving: 45 balls
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag of 250 g mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 3/4 cup chocolate M&M
- 1 cup pretzels, chopped in small pieces
- In a saucepan, mix the corn syrup with the sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring, and then cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes, until the preparation takes on a slightly amber color.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, mini marshmallows, and vanilla. Stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, place the corn kernels. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave at maximum power for 4 to 6 minutes until about 2 seconds pass between each pop.
- Remove from the microwave.
- Add the popcorn to the marshmallow caramel, then add M&M and pretzel, stir to coat the popcorn.
- Generously oil the hands, then shape the popcorn balls using about 1/4 cup of preparation for each.
- Place the popcorn balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
No matter which recipe you decide to make, they are all as delicious!
Did you like these recipes? Try these Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips next!