Feed Your Body Friday: Nutella Energy Balls
Let me start by saying that I love energy balls. In all ways, it is the perfect snack because it is filling, delicious, easy, and incredibly nutritious. Also, let’s not forget that they can be adapted to our own tastes and resources that we have in the pantry.
Today these little balls of happiness we will be making are made with hazelnut and chocolate spread, commonly called Nutella. You can use the storebought Nutella or as an alternative, you can make your own at home. I switch back and forth depending on what I have on hand but I absolutely love using a homemade hazelnut and chocolate butter, it’s really very simple to make and moreover it’s healthier. (If you want to make your own, I’ve added it as a bonus at the end, scroll down to find it!)
No-Bake Nutella Energy Balls
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: N/A
Serving: 12 balls
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup Nutella (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- Put all the dry ingredients in the food processor and then mix until the hazelnuts are crushed and well mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the dates, and the water to your mixture and mix together until the mixture forms a ball.
- Moisten hands and begin forming balls with dough that is about 1-inch thick.
- Store in the refrigerator for a few hours before consuming.
The energy balls will keep for 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator and 1 month in the freezer.
BONUS! If you were wanting my homemade hazelnut and chocolate recipe, here it is!
Homemade Nutella Recipe
- 1 cup natural hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- In a food processor, at maximum power, reduce the hazelnuts to the finest possible powder. This step takes approximately 5 minutes. Scrape the edges if necessary.
- Add the milk powder and cocoa and process again until it is combined.
- While the mixer is still processing, add the milk, honey, and vanilla through the opening on the lid of the robot. Mix 2 minutes at maximum power.
- Stop once everything seems combined, scrape the edges to make sure everything gets mixed.
- Put the lid back on and mix for 2 minutes more or until a very smooth and homogeneous spread is obtained.
These Energy balls will boost you when you need a little high in the middle of the afternoon. These balls will also make a great snack for Mountain hikes or simply, for the sports bag after your training session.
Related Article: Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips