Feed Your Body Friday: Melon & Prosciutto Skewers
Last week, I had some last-minute guests show up at our place, and instantly I went into panic mode.
I love having guests over, but I prefer to offer them bites that I made myself. Sure, a box of crackers and some cubes of cheese will do, but this appetizer is as quick to make as opening up said box of crackers. So, if you are looking for a quick and refreshing appetizer, snack, or light meal to prepare, this is the recipe for you.
Prosciutto and melon skewers are simply a divine Italian classic. For my part, I like making these mini-skewers with basil leaves, a generous drizzle of my best olive oil, a little honey, and a few drops of balsamic vinegar. It’s always a success!
The presentation of skewers is so cute, and the preparation is done quickly and without fuss. You can even prepare them in the morning, arrange them on a dish, and chill them in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. The skewers will keep all their freshness and flavour this way.
Melon & Prosciutto Skewers
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 16 skewers
- 1/2 cantaloupe, cut in half and seeded
- 1/4 watermelon
- 16 mini bocconcinis, drained
- 16 prosciutto slices, cut in half
- Fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a long knife, cut cantaloupe and watermelon into cubes about 1” long to make at least 32 cubes.
- On 16 small wooden skewers, put in alternating 1 cube of cantaloupe, 1 half slice of prosciutto, 1 basil leaf, 1 watermelon cube, etc.
- Reserve mini-skewers on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil, honey, and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
These fresh bites are also perfect to get you through a hot summer day with their mix of sweet and salty flavors.
If you’d like to change it up a little bit, you could replace the mini bocconcinis with feta or cubes of fresh mozzarella. You can also try out different combinations of melons or other fruits. You now have a new appetizer recipe with flavours that harmonize in the mouth!
Related Article: Feed Your Body Friday: Rosé All Day! 3 Rosé Summer Cocktails