Feed Your Body Friday: Chickpea, Kale, & Tahini Salad
Kale is my ally of choice for raw food. It’s so versatile, it can be easily added to so many dishes for an extra boost of nutrients.
A rich source of minerals like calcium and vitamins A, C, and E, kale has important anti-cancer properties. It contains phytonutrients that activate liver enzymes that help detoxify and cleanse the body.
Kale is much tastier when you take the time to massage it with a little vinaigrette. In this recipe, the tahini dressing gives it a nice nutty taste and adds essential fatty acids. Meanwhile, protein-packed chickpeas give you that satisfying feeling of fullness while actually helping you lose weight.
Filled with vitamins and freshness, this delicious salad will surely surprise your taste buds.
Ready in: 20 minutes
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 1 yellow beet, sliced
- 4-6 red onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
For the Salad Dressing:
- ¼ cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1-3 tbsp. water, use to thin dressing to desired consistency
- Pour tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic and water in a small container. Cover container and shake well to mix. Put aside.
- In a bowl, add the kale and half of the vinaigrette. With your hands, massage the cabbage leaves to soften them and soak them with the vinaigrette.
- Stir in onions, beets, and chickpeas. Add sea salt and pepper, if you wish.
- Pour in the rest of the vinaigrette and mix.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
The yellow beet and the red onion add a bit of sweetness and a vibrant splash of color to this refreshing salad. We all know how much better food tends to taste when it looks good, too. Simple and easy to make, it’s the perfect lunchtime pick-me-up to power you through your day until dinner.
What’s your go-to summer salad?