Feed Your Body Friday: Beet Hummus & Pita Chips
Do you have to bring a dish to share for a potluck with friends or a family dinner and want to impress the gallery without too much headache?
This hummus recipe with beetroot that’s as simply delicious as it is simply… simple! The colour is also completely crazy - combined with the crunch of the homemade chips, it’s bound to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters.
My homemade pita chips are just as easy to make, and a much healthier alternative than grocery store chips. I only use 3 ingredients, bake 10 minutes, and you’re done! I perfumed mine with oregano, but use your creative freedom to add the spices and herbs of your choice. The spread can be easily stored for 5-6 days in the refrigerator - but obviously, there’s nothing better than eating it freshly prepared.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated, cooked beets
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
Pita Chips Ingredients:
- 4 pitas
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In the food processor container, place chickpeas, beets, tahini, garlic and lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
- Mix by pouring the olive oil in a fillet until you obtain a homogenous puree.
- In a bowl, combine oregano with 1/4 cup olive oil. Brush both sides of 4 pita with the scented oil.
- Cut each pita into eight triangles. Place the triangles on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt, and brown in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 400°F.
If you’re a
Making your hummus at home is really simple and can save you a lot of money in the long run. Homemade hummus is prepared using a food processor, but if you don’t have one you can use a hand-mixer - I tested it and it worked well also! Think of it like a little workout before you indulge, guilt-free, in this healthy, shareable (or not) snack.
The taste of the beets is very well balanced in this recipe, the chickpea gives it a very pleasant mixture, and the tahini adds a bit of sweetness. Plus, the mixture of these ingredients fill the hummus with good nutrients and will delight your taste buds and your body. Enjoy!