Feed Your Body Friday: Asparagus & Pea Risotto
Asparagus season is so short - you have to make the most of it!
It’s been a long time since I had risotto, so I decided to make a recipe inspired by the beautiful asparagus I had just picked up. This pea and asparagus risotto was a feast - and the best part is that it’s super simple to do. It’s also a perfect vegetarian main dish if you use vegetable broth.
Another advantage with the risotto is that if you at least have the basic ingredients - the rice, wine, broth and Parmesan - then afterwards you can make the recipe you want with what’s left in the fridge, even a celery stalk and a carrot will do!
Asparagus, the vegetable that tells us Spring is here, is full of benefits. Low in calories and full of vitamins, asparagus also promotes good intestinal transit, and prevents cancer and cardiovascular disease.
As for the pea, although it belongs to the botanical family of legumes, fresh green peas are an immature seed consumed as a vegetable. Given the fact that they’re concentrated in minerals and provide other contributions to your body, they also allow you to effectively fight certain diseases.
By eating these vegetables moderately, it will be easier for you to be in good health and to live a healthy life.
Did I open your appetite will all these benefits? If so let’s start cooking!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into bevel
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- The zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a saucepan, heat the broth and let simmer to keep everything warm.
- Blanch the asparagus and pea in a small amount of water, just enough to cover to vegetables. Reserve.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil and brown the French shallots.
- Add the rice. Stir until grains are well coated with oil.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Add 1 cup broth and stir until almost all absorbed by the rice. Continue with one cup of broth at a time. This operation will take you about 20 minutes. The rice should be al dente and have absorbed almost all the broth.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon zest, Parmesan, asparagus and pea mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
I advise you to buy real Parmesan in pieces, and avoid the powdered imitation which is tasteless and which, apart from the calories, will bring nothing at all to your risotto!
There’s no secret, to succeed with your risotto, it’s necessary to take care of it. 20 minutes of your time is well invested since you will end up with a delicious meal!
Related article: Feed Your Body Friday: Pho Style Soup